Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Big holiday - post 2

Righto. At Tokyo Narita airport with a computer that doesn't dislike me and an hour to kill so time for some more ramble (or at least I was when I first started and almost finished this post - have uploaded from Sydney). Again, are stolen photos. My own snaps will have to follow.

Day 2 - Tokyo Tsukiji fishmarket and a trip to the Japanese mountains.

Tokyo's Tsukiji fishmarket
Got up at the crack of a sparrow's yawn in order to look around this place, mainly because it was so heartily recommended by my Lonely Planet guide. When I got there, I understood why. There were hundreds of stalls selling all kind of stuff to the restaurants of Tokyo - incl some v strange types of fish (some of which were alive), some very big types of fish getting divvied up into more manageable chunks as well as all kinds of other weird fishy stuff (e.g. barrels full of different type of live eel things etc). Also, there were hundreds of these scooter trailer things flying about and not caring what the hell was in their way. Truly amazing due to its size, the variety of fish and the general hustle/bustle. You really have to go if you ever visit Tokyo.

Very fishy...

Bus tour to Nikko and the Japanese mountains

Went on a guided tour to the Toshogu Shrine (incl the Rinnoji Temple) then over to have a squiz at Lake Chuzenji and then to the Kegon waterfall, which I couldn't see as it was too foggy. Obviously I remembered all these names - along with the correct spelling - without referring to anything as I'm that kind of guy. Some stolen snaps for you.
Some temple thing in Nikko. Incidentally, got a roasting from a
monk for sitting on the steps of a nearby sacred temple in order to
tie my shoelace. Whoopsie...

The waterfall that I heard but couldn't see (despite being a few
hundred foot away) as was too foggy. Sounded good though.
Lake Chuzenji with the an impressive
Japanese mountain range in the background.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Smaje said...

Brings back memories - that fish market is truly amazing - busiest place I've ever been. You nearly keep getting skittled by people flying around on those little scooter trolley things! Did you try any sushi? Really good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home