Sunday, October 14, 2007

Big holiday - post 1

Ok, I'm back on here by popular demand (namely my mum and Kate G) in order to bore you ridged with tales from my big holiday. I'm actually writing this from the coolest internet cafe of all time in Tokyo. Is on the 12th floor of some building and I'm sitting here typing this in a very classy little dark wood cubicle, sitting on a black leather reclining chair and listening to some subtle lift music style jazz. Oozes cheesy yuppie class - I love it! Here's the link:

http://www.gcc-bagus.jp/

Think I'll do this chronologically. Oh, and I can't put my pics on here yet so have nicked other peoples (much better) ones from the internet in order to make things a smidgen more interesting.

Day 1 - Heathrow to Tokyo

Had to work very late on Fri night and then had to get up very early on Sat morning in order to pack and ended up having about 5 hours sleep . My plane then left at 1.45pm on the Sat and I managed to sleep for about an hour I reckon on the 11 hour flight as I'm far to big to get comfortable on the piddling little chairs in peasant class. Then had a power nap when I finally got to my hotel here (after an hour on a coach) and literally dragged myself up in order to look around Tokyo since I'm only here for two days. Is 8pm over here now and I feel like it's 8am after staying up all night. My body clock doesn't know whether I'm coming or going.

Day 2 - Milling around Tokyo

Tokyo is clearly a very cool city - what I've seen so far I love. So many people yet so more relaxed than London. People are so nice and polite as well. Went into Starbucks (shame on me) and the girl who served me gave me a coffee with a beaming smile and cupped my outstretched hand in hers when she gave me the change. Wasn't sure if she was just being polite or fancied a bit of a weary looking, unshaven UK bloke with large bags under his eyes. Ok, ok. I know deep down it was probably the former!

People are very polite and respectful over here generally. Speaking to people on mobiles on tubes/trains/buses is frowned upon as it annoys other passengers. I actually went on a tube ride after getting lost wandering around aimlessly for an hour or two. Was sat outside the station for quite a while working out where to go though. Click on the below and you might understand why...

Go on then - try and find Sengakuji on this baby.

Have tried a bit of the local stuff as well as the visit to Starbucks. Sat down in a place called Noodle Workshop (some Japanese fast food chain I reckon) and woolfed down some 'beef cheek with mushroom' noodles. Not sure which of the two obvious places on a cow where you can find cheek that it originated from but was very nice nonetheless.

Something else I came across was the below, the Tokyo Tower. I'd never heard of it before but it's really similar in structure to the Eiffel Tower and not dissimilar proportions. There were also a few French restaurants and cafes dotted around as well. Wonder if this place is somehow linked with France?

Ring a bell mes amis de la France?

One other thing that was weird was the taxis. As well as there being loads of them, the doors open for you by themselves - as if by magic (and I personally think magic is somehow involved). Impressed me anyway. They also look quite cool - see nicked snap below.

One final thing is that I feel like Hulk Hogan. There are not many non-Japanese folk about and relative to most of them, I feel like I'm a full foot taller and twice the weight (that means they must be five and a half stone doesn't it, calculation fans?).

Tomorrow I'm going to some temple in the Japanese countryside near Tokyo. I'm actually treading in the footsteps of the great explorer Eileen 'Chong' Cheng and will compare notes with her when I get back.

Right, I'm going off on another wander. Next update in a few days. Later.

5 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Smaje said...

Hi Lunt. Hope you're having an ace time. That brings back memories - Tokyo is ace. Those taxi doors are superb! Did you make it to the Hyatt Park? Any Kirin bars? Did you manage to befriend any Japanese to get them to supply you with free booze for the night?!? (Remind me which county I come from...)

Looking foward to the next update. Being on this blogsite feels quite novel - a bit old school after the new kid on the block with Facebook! I much prefer this site - FB is too public for my liking.

Have a great time. MS

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Owen said...

Good stuff Lunt. I had a lot of fun with the subway, and the stations weren't much better. The one by my hotel and about 80 exits or something.

Enjoy your size empowerment. Just wait to you get over here and stand shoulder to shoulder with a few Maori...

 
At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japanese keyboard keeps being strange on me so I'm going to wait until Aust (tomorrow) for next 'thrilling' installment of the holiday diary. And my phone isn't 3G and so doesn't work in Japan btw in case anyone is trying to get hold of me. Will probably work in Aust/NZ as they're bit less developed and lower tech over there (as are their inhabitants - eg Gartside).

Thanks for messages chaps.

MS - The Hyatt in Roppongi? Just walked past that actually. Nah, didn't go in. And didn't go to that booze part of town as was too tired. I've had one half of lager since jetting off actually. What a softie. Will put that right in NZ. I understand Gartside has managed to organise a piss up in a brewery (never thought that'd happen).

OG - Looking forward to NZ Garters and meeting these Maori softies. And will you email me your address etc? Think my phone will work in Aust/NZ but I'll just magically appear at your gaff if not.

Ciao for now.

PS I hate that phrase.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Owen said...

Lunt, I'll come get you from the airport. But I'll email you my address etc in case of any disasters for Lunt.

I presume you'll be jet-lagged out by the time you get here, so we could sneak a few Friday night beers in?

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger PT said...

On the OEDO line next to MITA?

Last weekend I had to find my way to Woodhall Spa. The Japanese underground is a piece of piss by comparison.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home